Who: State of Wa: Office of the Education Ombudsman
Position: Web Design Intern
Where: Seattle – Northgate
What: The Office of the Education Ombudsman (OEO) welcomes undergraduate and graduate students to serve as interns in our offices. This program allows students to make meaningful contributions to K-12 students and families in Washington State while earning academic credit, exploring career options, and gaining valuable professional experience.
Work schedule: At least15 hours per week with flexible schedule
Compensation OEO internships are non-paid positions.
OEO’s Website Goals:
We are looking for an experienced intern who will be responsible for the creation and implementation of a new website for parents of K-12 students in public schools in Washington state. The candidate should have both front and back end website design experience.
The Ideal Candidate:
• Will have strong website design, development and administration experience including be able to design a template, menus and other key features that are visually effective and easy to navigate.
• Will be able to learn quickly through accessing a variety of resources such as existing documentation and on-line resources.
• Will have experience with WordPress and social media platforms including FaceBook, Twitter and blogs.
• Will be able to work independently and also in a team environment.
• Be a key player in the preliminary planning, design and launch of a new website.
• Be able to help answer questions such as: why is the site needed, who is the target audience, what is important for them to know, and how is the best way to organize information?
• Be able to advise staff on the categories and information needed to construct the site.
• Test the website for functionality in different browsers and at different resolutions.
• Work with staff to develop forums, social media, podcasts, etc.
• Help update, post and write information for web pages.
• Develop strategies to create traffic to the website.
The Office of the Education Ombudsman
The Office of the Education Ombudsman (OEO) is an agency within the Governor’s Office that helps resolve complaints from parents against public schools and makes recommendations to the Governor and legislators for the improvement of public education. OEO functions independently from the state’s public education system. Visit our website: www.waparentslearn.org
Contact: Please apply by July 5, 2011. Send cover letter and resume to: Office of the Education Ombudsman, Attention: Director, Northgate Executive Bldg. 1
155 NE 100th St — #210, Seattle, WA 98125 Or e-mail: [email protected] gov.wa.gov