Who: Rivet and Sway
Position: Senior Software Development Engineer
What: We are Rivet & Sway, an early-stage, seed-funded eCommerce startup seeking to disrupt a traditionally offline retail segment: prescription eyewear. This is a $16B US market of which less than 2.0% was sold online in 2010. We’ve invested a year researching our target customer, building the brand platform, designing and manufacturing our eyewear collection, and launching our website. We’re now building the team to hit the ground running to grow customer acquisition and topline growth. We are looking for our first technical hire – the rockstar software engineer who will help us build the technology platform, innovate the customer experience, and lead the eyewear category for women.
We’ve built a brand to serve a highly targeted customer segment. Our goal is to make buying prescription eyewear the easiest, most affordably luxurious, and wondrous purchase delivered to any woman’s door.
Responsibilities: You may be whom we’re looking for if you are:
…a generalist, focused on middle tier or back end systems, but with enough experience on client side technologies like xHTML, CSS, JS, and JQuery to dig into front end issues and ideas.
…an open-source champion, you can be the genie of the LAMP when needed, and you’re comfortable with the “P” being either Perl, PHP, or Python.
…a natural collaborator, you know that team building won’t happen just from a daily Scrum. You enjoy partnering with other engineers, you’re a successful communicator to third party software providers, and you’re delighted when the UX team seeks your input on new features.
…a pragmatic architect, you know what a scalable eCommerce back end should look like. You also are comfortable with the exigencies of startup development. You’ve shed the “Not invented here” bias and know how to leverage and integrate existing solutions for EDI, inventory control, and logistics.
…naturally curious, self-directed, comfortable with ambiguity and change, and you work best in a small heavily collaborative group.
…a quantitative thinker who seeks data for decision making. You “measure twice, code once”.
Examples of development projects in the next 6-12 months:
* Source or develop data integration solutions to eliminate manual accounting of customer transactions between internal & 3rd party systems (Drupal, QuickBooks, 3PL systems, FEDex, USPS…) .
* Work with frame supplier and optical lab partners to create a unified view of Rivet and Sway inventory, and develop the tools for recording and reconciliation of inventory.
* Integrate a CMS system into both website and backend.
* Create a fulfillment planner whose logic will scale as the company grows to have N geographically separate frame suppliers and M optical labs.
* Identify and implement new features to improve the shopping experience. Integrate 3rd party apps to enable community content.
* Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
* 5+ years professional experience in software and web development
* Java, C++ experience rounded out with a modern scripting framework like Python or Ruby.
* Skilled at software best practices and development methodologies: OO, design patterns, test-driven development, agile methodologies, pair-programming.
* Expertise with making the various moving parts of an ecommerce backend dance in concert: CMS, EDI, Database, Inventory, Logistics.
* Prior startup experience highly preferred
* Seattle-based candidates only, please
Contact: Please forward your resume in complete confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org