Position: Front End Development Manager
What: The Seattle Times would like to find a Front End Development Manager to lead in the creation and evolution of the top quality responsive Web and mobile device experiences which will be the core of SeattleTimes.com replacement. That leader will establish best practices, shape awareness and lead the adoption emerging and de facto standards appropriate for the continuously changing high volume set of web properties, mobile and network applications which deliver the current news of record for the Seattle area.
This leader and key contributor will participate in the architectural structure, design and development work as well as mentor others based on deep hands-on experience in visual presentation, varied content and data visualization applying the tools and structures in a responsive web design to fully targeting multiple devices.
You will be responsible for coordinating the designs, and development of other front end engineers while establishing the process, test and deployment tools to be used in delivering Seattle Times content. You need broad presentation skills; exceptional visual aptitude and extensive experience developing and integrating content process flow. Experience with commerce, advertising and instrumentation services is expected.
Your partners are a team of LAMP savvy service developers working alongside your team on the requirements and priorities as organized by our service delivery PMs. Your stakeholders are our creative and advertising content staff, their business managers and executives. The successful candidate will be passionate about improving team process as well as leading visual and UX technologies. Key is your ability to identify approachable improvements backed by the ability to motivate their adoption throughout the organization.
- Lead others in defining a progressive vision for top quality design fueling an engaging, state of the art presence for The Seattle Times’ audience
- Form the next presentation direction for The Seattle Times by expertly building toward and enlighten decisions by relating visual and UX design to business objectives
- Support the construction of Seattle Times new technology foundation by leading the content visualization and interaction for our delivery services
- Be central in defining Best Practices, which enable front-end and server team’s to clearly coordinate where required. Identify processes and tools that allow independent front-end work where appropriate
- Become a team resource for presentation solutions, requirements interpretation, process and internal documentation standards.
- Maintain knowledge of presentation development, support and technology trends informing discussions of how they may relate to team responsibilities
- The work occasionally requires weekend, odd hour and emergency efforts to support the continuous operation of the Seattle Times
- Bachelor of Fine Arts degree or equivalent professional experience, with at least 7 years’ worth of hands-on front-end development and leadership
- Familiarity with LAMP implementations with deep HTML5, CSS and JQuery skills
- At ease within the WordPress structure and front-end conventions
- Working knowledge of twitter-bootstrap or Zurb Foundation like responsive frameworks
- Able to layout mobile device presentations and visual experiences
- Ability and tenacity to lead the renovation of legacy systems. Exposure to print layout systems is a bonus
- Development experience and direct participation in the successful integration and delivery of web-instrumentation, SEO and advertising systems
- Experience leading and growing other direct contributors in front-end visual delivery strategy and process development
- A history that shows familiarity with service oriented architectures and creative groups
- A solid understanding of the services presented in browsers and mobile devices
- Ability to unify and motivate technical, business and reader oriented team members working on both structured and ad hoc projects, issues and emergent engagements
Contact: Apply here.