Who: UW Bothell, Office of Development & Alumni Relations and External Affairs
Position: Web Desginer
What: Come work with one of Washington’s fastest growing college campuses! The University of Washington Bothell, Office of Development & Alumni Relations and External Affairs, has an outstanding opportunity for a web designer. The web designer will shape and enhance the visual image and functionality of the website by enhancing structure and visual appearance.
Responsibilities: The web designer will work with a dynamic team dedicated to creating a quality online user experience for UW Bothell students, alumni, prospective students, faculty, staff and the rest of the campus community. The designer will need to develop for standard display screen sizes as well as for mobile devices.
The university uses a Content Management System (CMS) to manage development of the website. The web designer will produce templates for the CMS and work closely with the development team to deploy and maintain the web editors’ work. The web designer will work with the web manager, web team members and others in identifying and developing new features, sites, programs, tools and designs that embrace best standards and practices, and accessibility throughout the university’s web presence.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
• At least 3 years’ experience in designing and developing an enterprise-level web site;
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team oriented environment;
• High level of self-initiated problem-solving skills and an ability to prioritize tasks to meet multiple deadlines;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; strong interpersonal skills, including problem solving and consensus building;
• Excellent organizational skills, accuracy and self-motivation; demonstrated customer service focus;
• Communicate effectively through the various stages of design and development.
User Experience Design, Information Architecture
• Ability to produce essential aids to organize ideas, strategies and communicate those concepts to the greater team. Such items may be low and high level wireframes, flowcharts, graphic proofs, web-based prototypes and others.
Graphic & Interface Design
• Understand how to effectively integrate visual elements with navigation and content structures;
• Effective at producing graphic proofs of web pages;
• Expert at working with graphic editing software, including Photoshop, Illustrator, and others;
• Understand how to solve typical web-related design challenges, such as use of proper web typography, screen size, and so forth;
• Able to produce graphic images, Flash presentations and other necessary multi-media elements.
Front-end Web Development
• Effective at using semantic markup;
• Able to create cross-browser compliant front-end code;
• Clearly understand the DOM and DOM events;
• Prior experience developing for mobile devices;
• Strong knowledge of accessibility guidelines;
• Efficient SEO optimization techniques.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
Five plus years of increasing experience, highly desired;
Degree or certificate in computer science or programming.
How to Apply:
Go to http://www.washington.edu/jobs and enter requisition #74657. Part of the application process for this position includes completing an online cover letter assessment, as well as the Employment Eligibility Assessment to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. The assessment(s) will appear on your screen for you to complete as soon as you select “Apply to this Position” on this job announcement. Once you begin the assessment, it must be completed at that time. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your “My Jobs” page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed and you will not be considered for this position until the assessment is complete.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or firstname.lastname@example.org.